1. Find sites that complement your site, and that you would feel confident in recommending to others. (Quite frankly, if a site doesn't meet the criteria that I want my visitors to look at, it won't stand a snowball's chance in the hot place of getting on my site! )
2. Contact the webmaster with a personal email, telling them about your site, and asking if they would be interested in trading links.
3. Ask them to write their own description of their site, as they would like it explained to your visitors. 3. Set up a page on your site for these links, and call it something BESIDES "link trades". Call it "Recommended sites", or anything creative that will tell your visitors that it is worth looking through. Because it IS worth looking through. You have chosen these sites specifically for a trade with your site! You are recommending them to your visitors!!!
4. List each site name and their short description. ( Yup, you'll have to do this yourself, by hand, individually, one at a time!)
5. Strive to trade YOUR link exclusively with sites that use these same guidelines. Your goal in every aspect of your Ebusiness and website should be to give VALUE to your visitors. REAL VALUE! This method of trading links creates a much greater value for your visitors, not to mention the increased value of the link you have traded on the other end. It always comes down to the same basic idea. The best results rarely come from the easiest method. Building a successful Ebusiness will take work, which takes time. Looking for an automated business? Time to get over it. And get on with reality!
About the author:
Gail Hornback is owner of http://webworksathome.com and partners with Michael Smith in Coyote Marketing, (CM/YMTC), where you can get Your Own 4-page customizable E-Business Website For Pocket Change.